Thursday 24 November 2011

Planes, trains & automobiles

Okay so today it's just trains as I travel to what is always referred to by some 'as the real capital'; Cork.
Sadly a trip for business rather than pleasure. I am sitting on the train in my comfy seat excited to visit a county that I have only been to once, as a child. (An horrific experience purely for one simple memory - going on the usual must have tour of Blarney Castle to kiss the Blarney Stone; legend says if you kiss this stone you get the gift of the gab. Well all I got was panic stricken - I was never good with heights so having to climb the steps to the top, lean back practically suspended with an acrobatic manoeuvre to kiss this stone had my stomach in knot's, it didn't help that on said day it turned grey and windy just as we arrived and I had selected a pretty dress (courtesy of Laura Ashley) and jumper to wear - cut to many shrieks from me as I worried I was flashing unsuspecting tourists - so that's nil points to Cork)
I am sure I won't be forced to do any acrobatics's (fingers crossed) so I am hoping this experience will be much nicer.

There is something therapeutic about travelling by train. One reason I love this mode of transport is because of my Grandad Paddy. Paddy was a train driver on the Dublin/Belfast route - so instantly a mention of a train gives my face a beaming smile.
Second reason: I personally feel it is far more glamorous than air travel.
Well anyone who watched Some Like It Hot and remembers the beautiful Marilyn Monroe as she tottered along the platform in her uber tight, curve enhancing dress will agree. As this vision approaches the train, all eyes are on her (with the exception of a comedy element when a cloud of steam stops her in her elegant tracks) she is perfection.



Of course If I was trying to recreate this look I would achieve something more memorable of Carrie in SATC. She too had the romantic notions of train travel - but all she was left with was a pimple, a cabin you couldn't swing a cat in and a first class flight home. This is confirmed when some time ago I was woken from my sleep dribbling on my hand...oh the glamour Marilyn :)

Must have items for my train journey

Magazines, water & coffee

On arrival a glass of pinot grigio, some thai cuisine..and
I'm off to bed


These are some of my favourite things...

Fab installations of
Hermes & Alex Mc Q Scarves



 

These are lights I would lurrrrve on a dancefloor..

comfy but very sparkly brogues


Skull top from The Kooples

Hair Crush: Caroline Flack



A new Marc by Marc Jacobs laptop cover
brightens up the room on a winters day
Christmas lights in Dublin...


Windows depicting Swan Lake.....





Night night
Ali
x

No comments:

Post a Comment