Tuesday 8 November 2011

All I needed was a little TLC...

A city break was needed and Edinburgh was chosen.
I have heard so much positive feedback on the city and when I informed people I had never been there it was met with shock. You see I am a London girl, for years I have gone for shopping weekends, shopping days, or in some cases made the short trip for a pointless couple of hours. I have always gone with my Partner In Crime (sister who possibly has a worse shopping habit than even I have).

Once again my Partner In Crime was accompanying me, with P.I.C's hubby and  the boyfriend. We all bounced up to Dublin Airport at a ridiculous hour, Longchamp customised bags on our shoulders while the boys dragged our cases.


We headed straight to the cafe for coffee's and sausage baps, the boys held some seats for us in the bar beside our gate - *Pints in hands they were happy campers - and we all sat down excitedly planning the day ahead.
(*Did I say this was at 5.15 am yes am...I get the feeling this must be an Irish thing, Rule: Holiday commences once you get to the Airport and must have a pint no matter what the hour)
My first love of Edinburgh.  The plane felt like it had just taken off when it was announced we would be landing in ten minutes. We arrived in the centre of the city and were checked into our lovely hotel by 8 am...all fluster free. I was already impressed.
As it was so early we threw on our coats and decided to take a leisurely stroll around the city, the fresh cool air hit me as we headed towards Prince Street, the auburn leaves glowing as we approached trying to avoid walking into people as we stared up at all the wonderful buildings and statues in our midst.


 And then Edinburgh Castle came into view, the morning sun hit it's stones...so many stories hidden in it's walls.



We then decided without hesitation that we would need a cup of tea prior to making the climb to the Castle...enter my second love of Edinburgh. Eteaket. Sigh.


I think I must have said 'I love this place' about twenty times. It is here that boyfriend and bro-in-law kept calling me 'the tourist' as I snapped away time and time again at this little piece of heaven.

I got the same feeling in this cafe as I did when I entered Serendipity in New York. I was instantly relaxed...something lately I have found so hard to do. We all studied the pretty menu's one dedicated solely to of course Tea. I settled on a fruit salad and a Decaf Breakfast Tea while my companions had variations of pastries, bagels with smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers washed down with Scottish Tea's. Just what we needed.

Following our early start to the day and trip to the castle we spent much of the afternoon wandering around the city. Passing my third love...bouquet's of lavendar wrapped in brown paper...buckets of flowers in beautiful warm colours. Who ever thought a cabbage could look so stylish.



Of course we also had to refuel on our journey through the lanes of Edinburgh, for the girls that involved Strawberry Daiquiri's & loaded nacho's. The boys went for a sampling of haggis with beer (not as pretty to photograph, but I have to say I am a haggis convert it was delicious)

Our Friday night involved more cocktails, a visit to some cool local bars and a fab tapas bar where we sat for hours chatting over mussels, chorizo stew, potato bravas, calamari..I could go on but I would be embarrassed at the amount we consumed:)

A lovely nights sleep and we were ready to start all over again. Today we were to split up...the boys going to a local football game while myself and P.I.C planned to spend a lovely day shopping  - our sport of choice! (I had announced this trip wasn't all about shopping so didn't go mad in case you are concerned to my lack of purchases)This was such a lovely and chilled day, I don't get to spend days like this as often as I would like with both of my sisters - it's difficult now that they are both mummies - so I cherish these days.

So this was our day.....

A walk through Princes Street Gardens


A classic purse from BIBA...
sadly empty by the end of the weekend:)
Stocked up on the sweet smell of this dry shampoo
- replacing my Baptiste

Fun & flirty underwear...


A motto I should follow..my new shopper will remind me


John Lewis home...
I left with these little pegs perfect for hanging my Xmas cards
A well earned break at the Harvey Nichols Champagne bar
Conveyor belt of cupcakes and champagne???
Gets my vote!
We split this gold dusted chocolate god...


A lovely finish to our day of shopping, we did feel slightly guilty when we met the boys, both shivering after a day spent outdoors at a disappointing game drinking tea from Styrofoams and eating Scottish pies covered in salt....I always said our 'sport' was better:)


No comments:

Post a Comment