Wednesday 26 October 2011

There's no place like home...

I love to travel, experiencing new cities, cultures, relaxing in an environment  where you can switch off from your everyday life.
Waking up each morning excitedly, knowing a day full of discovery lies ahead.

Having just returned from the hot tropic's of Barcelona, a week surrounded by tapas, glasses of wine, the scent of Hawaiian tropic on my skin..Las Ramblas, getting lost in the streets of the Gothic Quarter....sitting in a beach bar with my friends drinking mojito's and sharing a bowl of nachos while people-watching.I was in my element. 

But where I differ from most of my friends is that if I am away longer than a couple of weeks my heart aches for home. I was the friend left behind while people deserted Dublin for the States, Australia, backpacking around Asia or simply across the sea to London.
I would follow their adventures by email, each time responding with a 'oh you are so lucky, I wish I was there'.  But what held me back?


I had no mortgage, no children, and at the time no boyfriend. An ideal time for me to disappear to pastures new.
The truth is that my family kept me here. I don't say this with any resentment. I simply couldn't imagine missing out on my nieces or nephew growing up, Sunday dinner's in my parents house...birthday parties...Christmas Dinner's...or just knowing that I could jump on my bike and cycle to my Mum's for a coffee and a chat(And from time to time a much needed hug) whenever I liked.


When we landed in Dublin Airport greeted by the cold air, I think I was the only person still smiling..all I could think of was meeting up with my loved one's and filling them in on all of our adventures!


I think Dorothy says it best  ''Oh, but anyway, Toto, we're home – home! And this is my room – and you're all here – and I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again, because I love you all! And... oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home!''

Ali
 x

These are some of my favourite things.....


A cheap & cheerful home improvement...


Bring the pub to your home with this very stylish book 


Too many choices, will I make
 The Southern Belle, The Alabama Slammer or The Couture Fizz..

Mojito's on the beach in Barcelona...


A modern day Dorothy shoe...from Miu Miu



Magpie Spy



A very stylish piggy bank....
...makes saving that bit easier!
 

Movie Night...
This week The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

And finally...the rain is pouring here in Dublin so a visit to Topshop
for this frilly protector is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment