Monday 24 October 2011

And the beat goes on...

As Saturdays go I was having a lovely day, excited to catch up with friends, free from meetings, 1 hour lunch breaks and the hardest decision I had to make was 'What to have for breakfast?' (porridge with banana's, honey and a sprinkling of cinnamon..opted for the banana on it's own when I realised we had no milk)
With a beep from my Blackberry or Blueberry as my Mum likes to call it (pet name for her is 'Dotty' due to the fact she has many of these slip ups),my plans for brunch were suddenly cancelled leaving me with a free day..boyfriend was off doing his best Pelé impression so looked like I was going solo.
I decided the only option was to jump back into bed for some much needed rest and relaxation..for me that's grabbing my laptop and watching REALITY TRASH TV - The Rachel Zoe Project.
After this very 'tiring' activity I was in need of a nice long hot bath...a pouring of *hidden Jo Malone Bath Oil, basil, lime & mandarin and I was good to go.
*Hidden - following an incident of boyfriend pouring the entire contents of a bottle in following a footie injury...I nearly saw red, he offered his Radox, I implied he would need more than a bath if he used my 'stuff' again...


Various activities later...(staring at my eyebrows in the mirror wondering if one was bushier then the other, painting of nails and walking around the apartment doing my best Adele impression)....claustrophobia set in.

Throwing on some clothes, I decided I would pop down to our local caff and have a well deserved cappuccino! Sitting by the window I heard a song playing lowly in the background and when I heard it I smiled to myself. 'God Only Knows' by the Beach Boys.
I was instantly taking back to myself as a 14 year old, the song was played to me over the phone by a boy who couldn't quite say he liked me to my face. At the time, sitting at the bottom of my stairs clutching the phone to my ear I was embarrassed and like most young girls went silent and then very quickly changed the subject. Although at the time it had little or no effect on me, sixteen years later it's a very different story, If I hear that song I am taken back in time, thinking of the friends I had, (some lost and others still a very big part of my life) the experiences we had and who we aspired to be.


I think everyone has this in their lives, whenever 'Summer of 69' is played I manage to count for three seconds and boyfriend announces 'ah I love this song...it always reminds me of my 21st, did I tell you that story'.

There are so many songs that could make up the soundtrack of my life to date...42nd Street - from the musical of the same name (Age 10, incessantly tap dancing on the kitchen tiles before AND after my tap class, much to the annoyance of both of my sisters (16 &  17 at the time) who were trying to impress their boyfriends while their maniac sister tapped away singing the song), Girls & Boys by Blur (Age 15..my first concert with my best pal..we felt like adults, but as soon as the concert was over we ran to my Dad's car for a lift home with the hope he would let us stop for chips..him grunting as all he wants to do is get back for Match of the Day instead of collecting two giggly teenager's)
Teardrops by Womack & Womack, (Age 17, my Debs...dancing with people who are still my friends today, hugging each other and getting excited for college life)......Anything by Sinatra (Age? Timeless.My grandad Paddy, who loved all the greats Frank, Dean, Elvis...a play of Sinatra when I am with my family and we don't have to say a word to each other as at that moment we are all thinking of the same person)


Songs have memories, good and bad, but I treasure everyone of them as all of these experiences have made me the person I am today, and I honestly don't think I turned out too badly...of course we all have our off days, nobodies perfect:) 

Feeling perky after my coffee and I return to the apartment, switch on my laptop and start typing...MTV is on in the background 'Sounds of the 90's' have come on, I hear the beat of a song...and I stop typing...I am instantly back in Ibiza, dancing on a podium with friends...but that's another story I just simply couldn't bore you with :)

Ali
x

These are some of my favourite things.....


A leopard never changes it's spots...
and for me it will ALWAYS be in my wardrobe!


Getting inspiration for nails from my fab cocktail ring..



New York in Dublin..Coffee & bagels
 Going....
 Going...
 Gone!!!!!

Adding these Carnaby Boa Snake Hunter Wellies to my winter wardrobe..
and releasing my inner musical goddess :)

Style Crush: Nicole Richie...
The Heidi inspired plaits, red lips, monochrome Dries Van Noten and a splash of colour from her Chanel clutch...effortless style at it's best.

The perfect way to end a Saturday night..
 a serenade by candle light :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment