Saturday 28 April 2012

Close your eyes & make a wish...

I never thought I would become one of those girls. But on Tuesday I felt the wrath of the 'Birthday Blues'. It came out of no where which was even more terrifying. I have been a firm believer in enjoying all parts of my life...I ran up to 30 and embraced it but this year was so very very different.
And to think it all started so well. I arrived to my parents house on Sunday with Mum doing her usual 'Celebratory Explosion' of banners, balloons, fabulous settings, cakes and a selection of food fit for a banquet - not for a family of 11. I was showered with cards, flowers, gifts...some a bit too sentimental for my delicate self (my niece handed me a pink tissue wrapped gift of a beautiful frame with her cute little face peering back at me) We ate, we drank and we had so much fun.
Cut to Tuesday morning when the boy leans over in bed with my card and gift...I walked half asleep to the bathroom, showered and that's when it hit me. God I am 31....THIRTY BLOODY ONE...what have I achieved, I still rent...my friends are married, some are parents...home owners...all of these thoughts went running through my head. As well as the 'God I wish I was 17 again!'. I got into so much of a lather that I didn't realise I had achieved the same with my hair thanks to overly aggresive use of tea tree oil shampoo. The rest of the day is a blur.

Then I had a conversation with a friend who made me see sense 'What's to be depressed about?' she said. 'Are you happy?' - yes I said -'Are you in love?' - yes - 'do you laugh at least once a day, are you surrounded by friends and family who love you unconditionally' -yes, yes, yes - 'Well then stop bloody moaning' she said. Like that I was out of my birthday funk.

Sitting at my desk this afternoon I hear people singing Happy Birthday & walking my way with a chocolate covered cake - colleagues surround me asking what age I am (getting compliments when I tell them 31)
I sit back, close my eyes and make a wish as I blow out the candles...a different wish to the 17 year old me*, less selfish...Today I wish for my family and friends, my boyfriend and OUR future together...It's not a bad life so don't waste it in a bad mood...that's my motto from today :)

This week I mostly......Got my new Celine.....Welcome Home Baby :)


Celebrated Mum's Birthday....





Followed a few days later by mine!



 Moaning about the rain but then today the sun came out...
and so did the paddle surfer's on the Liffey...bizarre!!!

Adding another bikini to my shopping basket,
this one from H&M is a winner with taupe and fluoro shades

Eating way too many treats...Laduree Vanilla Macaroon's


Red velvet cupcakes (courtesy of my office angels)
& a lovely chilled glass of Birthday bubbly

My Basic Buy...
1. Zara Basic V-neck
2. H&M Denim Leggings & the Perfect Cotton Bra
3. Zara Black Pocket Cigarette Pants
4. The Lovely Celine
5. Topshop Studded Loafers

Splashes of Colour....
1. Urban Outfitter's Skull & Peace Thread Necklace
2. H&M Trend Floral Black, White & Fluoro Scarf
3. Topshop Grey Jersey Dress, H&M Fluoro & Diamond Stud Necklace
Penney's Denim Jacket



Dublin's newest Frozen Yogurt.....





Now I am off to enjoy some more of the sunshine &
sit down to some M&S best....all I need now is the vino!


Love
Ali
x

No comments:

Post a Comment